Saturday, January 17, 2009

Beautiful Eager Face

She was there every Wednesday. Always eager, always ready, tugging my dress for attention, to learn something new.
"Where are your stickers?" she would ask. "This time I'm putting a note in your bag, so you don't forget them next time."
SubhanaAllah, how we can get attached to someone we never knew 2 months ago. I've been blessed to have the energy to do lot of volunteering. But somehow this tutoring on Wednesdays after a long day of homeschooling always seemed a very daunting job.
But this precious girl was leaving(her father's job got transferred) and I finally realized why I must continue in every possible way to encourage small girls to keep striving hard to do well in school. Even if for a few hours a week, I felt I had touched someone and someone had touched me. I still remember her mother's voice, talking about her daughter enthusiasm: "She was always so eager to come to the masjid on Wednesdays!"

1 comment: